Sunday 17 November 2013

Book Discussion: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare


"To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realises exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final instalment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments."


*Spoilers will occur*


   This is my favourite book in the whole series so far. I read it so quickly that I didn't pause to make any notes so I am working purely on memory.
   This book was so full of action and so much was happening so quickly I could not put it down! Firstly Jace bugged me when he didn't bring Clary to Idris, then Clary bugged me by recklessly drawing her own portal and being flung into Lake Lyn and bringing Luke with her!
   Can I just say I knew something was up with the Inquisitor and I called the Sebastian thing. I knew from the second she ran into him that he was her real brother. But one thing I didn't call was Hodge. When Simone found his wee friend in the cell I wondered who he was but when it turned out to be Hodge I was genuinely surprised!
   One scene I loved was when Magnus was the warlock they went to see and the chimney messages. That was funny. Apart from that the nest thing I really remember is Sebastian killing Max and the war. Did it bug anyone else that Jace ran off on his own? I know he was some Shadowhunter extraordinaire but that was stupid!
    I genuinely thought after Valentine killed Jace we were going to see some kind of change in him. I almost wanted him to redeem himself. But no he acts like an idiot making Clary a mute and embarrassing himself in front of the angel. It was sweet when Clary asked for Jace back but I was almost sorry we didn't see more of the war. We saw Simon's "Mark of Cain" in action a little bit but I really did want more in terms of fighting. I wanted to see Clary's bonding rune in action more!#
    I was so happy about Jace not being Clary's brother but his whole story line of Valentine making him one of his experiments, then cutting him out of his dead mother then raising him in a separate house. I thought was a little too complicated. Also I felt bad for Jace when he was at Valentine's funeral because even though he was a crappy fake dad he was the only one Jace had and I felt bad for him. But, to look at this book at with a deep point of view, I loved at how in the end Cassandra Clare explores the whole idea of family when Jace was trying to figure out what his real was. It was such a good point and honestly was probably one of my favourite parts to the book.
   
I loved this book. I didn't go into too much detail and left out a lot but there was so much that happened in that book I couldn't cover it all. Let me know your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment